Place first flag is an objective in the Story Mission, The Vaughnguard in Borderlands 2: Commander Lilith and the Fight For Sanctuary
- Head out of the Backburner into the Dahl Abandon.
- Go over to the nearby Catch-A-Ride Station and summon up a vehicle.
- Travel the short distance to the West and look for the large skull along the Northern wall.
- Get out of your vehicle and run through the skull and along the path into the bandit camp, the Rust Bucket.
- Going to the North, you can encounter a Super Badass Marauder and a Nomad Storm Master.
- During the fight, there is a very good chance that a Nomad Brutalizer will stray into the area you will also need to deal with.
- Turn to the West and head up the slope to find more Nomads that you need to fight through, along with a Goliath.
- There can also be Outlaw Marauders up here that need to be dealt with.
- Go South along the path and into the building and up the stairs inside.
- Once inside go over to the East, across the bridge, to the final section.
- Turn back to the North and fight your way through the Maniacs and Cannibal Rats.
- Head on up the slope to the North.
- In this top section, you can finally see the flag pole you will be raising Vaughn's Flag at.
- Defeat the Goliath, and Maniac Midget who is likely charging at you.
- Killing either will have another Goliath and then another Maniac Midget emerge from a nearby cave.
- Head over to the flag pole and interact with the green silhouette of the flag.
- The flag will be placed.