The Battle Pass is a system of progression in Fortnite Battle Royale that lets you earn in-game rewards as you progress and level up.
You have to purchase the Battle Pass to unlock it. The prices of all Battle Passes up to Chapter 2, Season 2 have been 950 V-Bucks. It is unlikely that it will change to a real money system for unlocking the Battle Pass.
Alternatively, every Battle Pass after Season 2 has had the option for players to buy the Battle Bundle. The Battle Bundle instantly grants the Battle Pass and 25 tiers/levels as well. The Battle Bundle costs 2800 V-Bucks.
Even if you don't buy the Battle Pass or Battle Bundle, you can still earn free rewards. Before Chapter 2, there was a separate free pass in which you could earn items. In Chapter 2, the free items replaced some of the previous paid items and combined into a single, linear pass.
Leveling your Battle Pass
Following start of Chapter 2, season XP and Battle Pass tiers were combined into a single leveling system. Most actions you do in game gives you XP which levels up your battle pass. For example, surviving storm circles, opening chests and ammo boxes, getting eliminations, and winning a game will all give you XP. On top of that, you have many sets of challenges which will earn you XP.
- In Season 2, max tier was 70.
- In every season following, the max tier has been 100.
Prior to Chapter 2, to progress in the Battle Pass, you needed to earn Battle Stars.
Doing challenges was the fastest way to get the Battlestars, completing a daily challenge gives you five battle stars, while weekly challenges can grant up to 10 Battle Stars.
You could also get Battle Stars by leveling up your Season Level. Each level you earn 2 battle stars, each five levels you earn 5 battle stars, and each 10 levels you earn 10 battle stars. After reaching level 100 you will have gained 310 battle stars(31 tiers)
Each season has its own theme for the Battle Pass. However, not all skins follow the theme.
- The theme for season 2 was a medieval theme and included knight outfits, shields, etc.
- The theme for season 3 was a space theme that introduced Back Blings.
- The theme for season 4 was a superhero theme that introduced Sprays.
- The theme for season 5 was a historical theme that introduced Toys.
- The theme for season 6 was a Halloween theme that introduced Pets.
- The theme for season 7 was a Christmas theme that introduced Wraps.
- The theme for season 8 was a pirate theme that introduced Traversal Emotes.
Rewards for advancing in the Battle Pass include:
Once unlocked, these rewards can be equipped through the Locker.
See: Battle Pass FAQ