This page has breeding dinos instructions and information for ARK: Survival Evolved
1) You need 2 tamed creatures of the same species, but of opposite gender.
2) Get the male and the female close to each other
3) Set both male and female to "Enable Wandering"
4) Beating hearts should appear over the dinos' heads.
5) Watch mating bar on female dino's HUD.
6) When mating bar fills completely, the female dino drops a fertilized egg (non-mammals). See "Incubating" section below. For mammals, the female becomes pregnant. See "Gestation" section below.
7) The Fertilized Egg incubates when dropped, not when in your inventory.
8) Watch and make sure that the Fertilized Egg Health does not drop, if it drops than it means the temperature is not right for incubating. See "Incubation Temperatures" section below for temperatures needed for each egg. You can use torches, campfires, and air conditioners to regulate the temperature.
9) For Mammals, instead of incubating eggs, the female becomes pregnant.
10) Watch the Gestation Progress on the HUD. After the Gestation period ends, the female gives birth.
11) When Egg has been successfully incubated, the baby dino hatches. For mammals, the baby is born once the Gestation Period ends.
12) Baby Dinos are fragile and have low health/carrying capacity/food capacity. Take good care of them in the first moments of their life or they will die if you leave them without food. for the first 10% of their maturity (while in baby stage), keep putting food in their inventory. After that, you can use a trough to keep feeding them.
13) Babies eventually become "fully matured" with proper care.
14) Until fully-matured, the babies cannot attack and cannot be ridden. They will also flee from any fight regardless of temperament.
Babies inherit randomly stats from their parents. For example, mating a male Trike that has "Natural Max" HP with a female that has "Natural Max" Stamina can result in a baby with both of those stats maxed out. You could then mate that baby with a new dino that has another maxed out stat and eventually you can breed a complete max-base-statted Uber-Dino!
Twins and Triplets
- There is a 10% chance to get twins.
- There is a 2% chance to get triplet.
- The twins and triplets can be both male and female
- Make sure you have a male and a female. Male/Male and Female/Female won't work.
- Make sure both dinos are of the same species.
- Not all dino species support babies. More support will be added in later patches. Watch for the HUD message "Enable Wandering to Mate" to make sure they can make babies. Or see section below, "Breedable Dinosaurs"
- You cannot ride the male dino to keep it near the female dino while mating. (fixed in patch 219.3)
- If you want them to breed but they wander too far for breeding, get them close, set them to wander and while doing this keep pressing 'u' (that's default key). They will stay still even on wander. Do this until an egg is laid.
- The Dino's HUD will indicate who they are mating with. Make sure they are mating with the correct dino, especially if you have other dinos of the same species around.
- Females cannot mate again for a while until a subsequent Mating Wait interval has passed. This is indicated on the female dino's HUD.
- Male Dinos can mate again immediately.
- Careful not to accidentally eat your fertilized egg.
- The temperature range needed to incubate an egg depends on the species. See table below for correct temperature ranges.
- Eggs not in the right temperature will not incubate and gradually lose health until destroyed.
- Hold the "H" button to see the temperature around you.
- If the Fertilized Egg Health drops to 0 it will be destroyed. Watch the HUD for the health indicator.
- The fertilized egg HUD will also indicate who the parents are.
- Baby's stats will dynamically increase as they mature.
- Babies are unclaimed at first. Imprint on them to claim them right after birth.
- Babies inherit a random stat from their parents, but there is a 70% chance that they will inherit one of the better stats and 30% chance of inheriting one of the weaker stats.
- You will not see the stats until after the baby hatches.
- Dinos don't have to be in-tribe to breed. So two tribes can agree to mate their prized dinos and split the resulting eggs.
- Female mammal's food consumption rate is increased, up to double the food consumption. So have extra food ready!
- The female mammal's belly will become larger and larger as she advances in the Gestation process.
- Babies don't have an "age" in days or years, but rather a "Maturation" marked by a "Maturation Progress Bar" on their HUD. The bar will grow in real-time. The babies are classified as follows depending on how full the bar is:
- 0-9%: Baby
- 10-49%: Juvenile
- 50-99%: Adolescents
- 100%: Adults
The following creatures can be mated:
- A bug where baby dinos had to be fed an enormous amount of food fast or they would die has been fixed.
- Mammal breeding is now available.