The Zora need help to tame Divine Beast Vah Ruta. It has been bringing rain for weeks on end and the reservior is close to bursting.
- Approach and talk with King Dorephan.
- He will give Link the Zora Armor, then tell him to go talk with Muzu.
- Equip the Zora Armor then head down the stairs and make your way over to the Mipha Statue.
- Muzu and Sidon are talking in front of it.
- Talk with Muzu while you have the Zora Armor equipped to trigger the conversation you need.
- This will also trigger a memory of Link's about Mipha as well as convince Muzu to share what he has learned.
- Muzu will suggest that you collect at least 20 Shock Arrows from the Lynel that makes its home on Ploymus Mountain at Shatterback Point.
- Head to the East along the walkway away from the Zora's Domain.
- Follow the path from the walkway up to the nearby basin being fed by waterfall.
- Get into the basin and go over to the waterfall.
- Go over to the waterfall wearing the Zora Armor to have the option to swim up the waterfall. This will cost Link any stamina to do. He will launch into the air after that.
- Go up the second and third waterfall as well to reach the top and be nearby your first destination.
- Once at the top, head to the North.
- As you do that, look at the nearby trees to spot Shock Arrows. Collect them to start working on your total.
- When the area flattens out as you go up, be careful because you are entering the Lynel's territory. Save before reach the the plain.
- Approach the plain carefully and watch for the Lynel. It can easily kill Link.
- Thankfully, it follows a predictable patrol pattern. Watch it for a short while to learn it then start sneaking around the area to collect the remaining shock arrows that you need.
- Search the ground, trees and rocks to find the arrows.
- Move about carefully.
- When you have collected all that you can, go to the South and up the slope to Shatterback Point.
- From here you can easily jump and glide down into the East Reservoir Lake.
- Once there, make your way to the landing nearby Zora's Domain to find Sidon waiting for Link.
- Approach and talk with him to have the option of assaulting the Divine Beast Vah Ruta. Agree to begin that assault.
Accessing the Divine Beast
- To get into the Divine Beast, talk with Prince Sidon who is waiting for you at the reservoir where the Divine Beast is.
- Equip the Zora Armor to begin your way into the Divine Beast.
- Sidon will point out there are glowing pink orbs that Link will need to hit with Shock Arrows.
- To get there, you will need to ride on Sidon and destroy the ice blocks that it will be hurling at you.
- As you go around the area you will be dealing with an increasing number of ice blocks.
- The spiked Ice Balls will come at Link from behind him. The Ice Blocks will come at Link from in front him.
- Get into the waterfall from the Divine Beast and swim up with the Zora Armor.
- Once up there, use your bow and arrow to fire a Shock Arrow into the Pink orbs at the top of each leg of the Divine Beast.
- Hitting all 4 of the orbs will trigger the next step of the act of freeing the Divine Beast.
Cleansing the Divine Beast
- Go on up the stairs and fire an arrow into the Malice Eye which holds the barrier at the top of the stairs.
- Go across the room to deal with the Guardian Scout just armed with its eye blast.
- Look to the left now. You can see a Malice Barrier at the far end of a pool and just below the surface, on the right, you can see the Malice Eye.
- Hit the eye with an arrow to break the barrier.
- Go to the left-hand side of the pool and use Magnesis to lift up a hidden chest in the water.
- Inside this chest you can find a Ancient Spring
- Use Cryonis to lift the gate in front of a terminal.
- Go up to the terminal and interact with it to get the Divine Beast Map.
- Go across the room, across the pool, to the metal crank.
- Use Magnesis to wind the crank and bring the terminal in the water out of it.
- Go out the door on the opposite side that you came in through.
- Head up the ramp to the right and through the open door there on the second landing.
- On this floor, you will immediately encounter a Guardian Scout with a Guardian Sword. Defeat it and then look to the small water wheel in front of you.
- In this small water wheel you can see a Terminal on the inside. Just outside the small water wheel you can see the fountain moving it. Target this with Cryonis
- Wait for the terminal to reach the lowest point of its rotation and then freeze the water coming out.
- Done right, the terminal will have just emerged from the water and start glowing, allowing Link to access it.
- Access the terminal and head back onto the main platform.
- Break the ice and go to the small area between water wheels.
- Ride the paddle up and over to the far side of the wheel itself.
- As it comes to the water fountain, jump off it and glide over to the ledge just to the left of the water fountain.
- Go to the left and open the chest there to claim the Silver Rupee.
- Head back to the area between the two water wheels.
- Access your map and have the water come through the top of Vah Ruta closest to its head.
- This while start spinning the large water wheel.
- Watch the paddles and wait for the paddle with the malice barrier on the bottom of a paddle.
- Jump onto the paddle just below the malice barrier. Wait for the paddle to level out then destroy it with a quick arrow shot.
- This will reveal a chest with 10 Fire Arrows.
- Jump off the paddle at the far side.
- Destroy the Guardian Scout there with a Guardian Spear.
- Go over to the left and step on the pressure plate there. This will create a waterfall, allowing quick access to this upper area.
- Across from you is a bridge leading to the middle of the large water wheel.
- Glide over to the bridge and head to the middle of the large water wheel.
- First, wait for the 2 sliding stone blocks to show up.
- Freeze the top block as it is getting close to the top of the wheel arc.
- Go and open the chest to claim the Ancient Core.
- Quickly get away from the chest and start waiting again.
- When you see the glowing sphere sitting against the center of this water wheel, freeze it as it is getting past the middle point on the top.
- This will hold open the gate just in front of the terminal.
- Rush into the terminal's chamber and activate it. Once again, quickly step outside the chamber.
- Head to the waterfall you trigger before this and swim up it to its top.
- Immediately after Link launches out of the waterfall, use the paraglider and go to the ledge with the chest on it.
- In the chest you will find a Knight's Halberd.
- Drop the ledge below the one you are on. Head into the open hallway going toward the head of the Divine Beast.
- Get to the end of the hallway and then access your Map.
- Lower the trunk so it is flat.
- Glide out to near the end of the trunk. You can see some Malice and a Malice Eye. Just in front of the eye is a chest.
- Destroy the malice eye. Inside the chest you will find an Ancient Shaft.
- Once collected, tell the trunk to said most of the way up, 4th notch from its top.
- Return Link to the hallway that he had just emerged from.
- Lower the trunk back down.
- Glide out to the very end of the Trunk and then balance Link on the end of the trunk as you tell it to raise up.
- Once again, set the trunk to the 4th notch from the top.
- Head across to the far side of the end of the trunk.
- Drop when you can to the wall just behind the terminal on the underside of the trunk.
- Wait for the trunk to stop moving and interact with the Terminal.
- Jump from the trunk and go over to the left-hand side of Vah Ruta's Back where you can see a Malice Barrier.
- Land on this side and look across to the other side.
- You can see the Malice Eye for this barrier on the far side.
- Use a long range bow for an easy shot or set the arc appropriately for any other.
- This will reveal the chest that was blocked by the Malice.
- Open it to find Ice Arrow x10.
- Turn to the head of Vah Ruta and glide over to it.
- There is a small opening that Link can drop through to land a walkway inside Vah Ruta's head.
- On this walkway, look toward the Trunk to see a Malice Eye. Destroy it with an arrow.
- You will see another metal crank you will need to interact with using Magnesis.
- Wind it to open the roof of Vah Ruta's head.
- Adjust the trunk to its 5th notch from the top.
- This will get the water spout to put out the fire around the final terminal.
- Drop down to the terminal and interact with it.
- This will activate the central terminal.
- Turn and head away from the head of Vah Ruta.
- Just next to the first crank is the ramp down to the central terminal.
- Go and interact with the Central Terminal to summon the boss of this dungeon, Waterblight Ganon.
- Rush into the Waterblight Ganon and start attacking him with your melee weapon.
- Be careful while close to the Waterblight. It can raise its spear and than stab it into the water, creating a blast to knock Link back.
- Keep in close and attack. Be sure to shield when you see the Spear being raised.
- This will continue until Link gets the Waterblight below 50% health.
- This will bring the Waterblight into the second phase. The water level rises and 4 platforms rise up from the ground.
- The Waterblight will summon up Ice Blocks to throw at Link.
- Link can either use the Cryonis rune to destroy the incoming blocks or fire an arrow at it to break it.
- It can summon up to 5 ice blocks to hurl at Link.
- Link can also dive into the water behind the raised stones to avoid the incoming ice blocks.
- It can also raise its spear and strike across most of the area.
- It can also raise the spear and throw the spear at Link.
- This spear attack attack is best dodged.
- Try to hit the Waterblight in the head to stun it.
- Once stunned, rush the Waterblight and attack it.
- When reduced to 25% or less, the Waterblight will start to use the Guardian Laser attack.
- These attacks can be reflected if you have practiced some. They can also be avoided by keeping nearby the stones.
Return to Zora's Domain
- Make your way back to the throne room and approach King Dorephan.
- He will thank you as well as Muzu and Sidon.
- You will receive the Lightscale Trident from the chest that King Dorephan offers you]].
King Dorephan: Ah. You must be the Hylian that Sidon brought here, correct? You did well to come all the way here! I am King Dorephan, ruler of the Zora. Hm? That object upon your waist... is that not a Sheikah Slate?! HMMM?! Now that i have gotten a good look at you, it is all too clear who you are... You are the Hylian Champion, Link! Do not tell me you have forgotten me...
Sidon: The Hylian Champion? You can't mean THE Link? THAT Champion?! So that's where I have heard your name before! What a fateful coincidence that we could cross paths!
King Dorephan: I cannot believe it. The Hylian Champion, Link, has appeared before us... We have met numerous times, I'll have you know. Ah... So many memories! My mind is overflowing with nostalgia, my friend. I'd heard a terrible rumor that you had fallen in combat, but it appears you managed to survive. Extraordinary!
Link: I've been sleeping
King Dorephan: Come again? Sleeping, you say... Hm. Is that you do not seem to remember me? But surely you must remember my precious daughter, Mipha, yes? You do, do you not?
Link: Mipha who?
King Dorephan: I cannot believe it... Have you truly forgotten my dear Mipha as well? You and Mipha were so close... Yet you do not remember her? Young hero... Please look upon the beauty of Zora's Domain. Do you see that statue? Does gazing upon Mipha's immortalized form still not jog your memory? Well, perhaps your memory will return in time. I dearly hope so.
Sidon: Father... I do not believe discussing my sister is helping matters at the moment. Link seems confused.
King Dorephan: Oh? Yes, of course. But first, it is worth noting how remarkable it is that Sidon brought a Champion here without realizing it! That is quite a feat, my boy! Wah ha ha! That is a good one! Link, I doubt not that you have endured a great many trials. Still, I must ask you to hear my plea. Now then. Hero... I must inform you that Zora's Domain is in danger of vanishing because of Divine Beast Vah Ruta. I shall do you the courtesy of speaking bluntly. We alone cannot stop this beast. Will you lend us your strength?
Muzu: What?! King Dorephan! My liege! Please do not speak so! To ask a Hylian for help... Why the very thought of it curls my fins!
King Dorephan: Muzu, I expected more of you. How can you still protest?
Sidon: Muzu! It is rude to speak that way to your king and his guest. Link is here because I invited him! With such unprecedented rainfall, we have no choice but to rely on the aid of a trustworthy Hylian. Have we not already discussed this and arrived at that very conclusion? He is the key to saving Zora's Domain. I have no doubt in my mind.
King Dorephan: Indeed! Link is a Champion, through and through. As things stand now, Zora's Domain... Nay! Perhaps all of Hyrule... is doomed to be swallowed by the sea. This is bigger than all of us, my friend. Zora and Hylians alike must put aside our differences and band together.
Muzu: Have you forgotten already, my king?! We cannot trust these lowly Hylians! A hundred years ago, they abused the power of an ancient civilization and turned Hyrule into what it is today! And that is not the least of it! It is their fault that Lady Mipha was lost to us...
King Dorephan: ... Link... Divine Beast Vah Ruta has great power. It is the unique ability to create an endless supply of water. Of late it has been mercilessly spouting water into the air. As a result, this area has been plagued by heavy rains. For us Zora, water and air are as one, so you would not think this would be quite so critical of a problem. Sadly, the rains have filled the eastern reservoir nearly to the point of flooding. If the reservoir bursts, as it soon will, I fear immense damage will befall not only Zora's Domain... but also the area downstream from us. There, Hylian lives are in very grave danger. Hmm... The Divine Beast is crying out once again...
King Dorephan: The Divine Beast Vah Ruta... Your princess, Zelda, often studied the Divine Beasts. That is, in the time before the Great Calamity. According to her research, the orbs located on Ruta's shoulders... are mechanisms that can control the water it generates. However, they require electricity to work. These orbs are clearly out of control now because there is no electricity coursing through to stop them.
Sidon: Seggin, who is quite shock resistant for a Zora, hit one with a shock arrow. Sure enough, it slowed the water a bit. Unfortunately, as an aquatic race, we Zora are terribly vulnerable to the power of electricity. Perhaps because we could not safely strike it with enough electricity at once,, the water soon returned to its full force. That is why I went in search of a Hylian who could help us! Link, I am certain you have already figured this one out, but... We need you to use shock arrows to get those orbs working properly again! I will aid you in any way I can, of course. Please, hero... I beg of you. Help me stop Ruta's rampage of destruction!
Link: I, um...
King Dorephan: Whaaat?! Princess Zelda herself instructed you to board the Divine Beast and appease it from within? So then, Princess Zelda is still alive?
Link: Yes, in Hyrule Castle.
King Dorephan: I do not believe it... she was alive this whole time, just as you were! The events of 100 years ago cannot be altered, it is true. But if we can regain control of the Divine Beasts... they may yet prove useful in sealing Calamity Ganon once and for all!
Sidon: I did not know you had such grand ambitions, Link... Wonderous! Naturally, I shall help too! Once it has stopped rampaging, you can easily climb inside it. Come, Link! Let use appease Ruta together!
Link: I'm in. Let's do this!
King Dorephan: Thank you, Link. Truly. We are in your debt. Our goal is the same. That means our meeting was nothing short of destiny. Now then, allow me to offer you this gift as a show of faith. So long as you wear this, you can ascend waterfalls just like a Zora. Please, take good care of it.
Muzu: King Dorephan!! Surely you do not really intend to give this outsider the Zora Armor! Countless generations of Zora Princesses have gifted that armor to the one they have sworn to marry! Princess Mipha made that one there with her own hands! It is far too important to entrust to a shady Hylian! He may be a Champion, but Mipha had no such relationship with him. So why should HE receive such an honor? This is just too much, my liege! I do not understand it one bit!
King Dorephan: Hmph. That Muzu is not easily swayed once his mind is set. You must understand... He was in charge of educating my dear daughter, Mipha. Naturally, she means a lot to him... just as she means the world to us. Ever since we lost her to the Calamity, he has grown to despise Hylians. I hope you can forgive his rudeness. Hmm, but what shall we do now? I tasked Muzu with finding the shock arrows we will need to appease Vah Ruta. But now he has rushed off in a huff...
Sidon: Link! Do not let his words concern you. I will work this out with Muzu. I shall return shortly!
King Dorephan: Sidon... I suppose that means that you are going to tell him... Link... Muzu is most likely at the square down below. Would you mind going down there? I would like you to try to speak with him.
Muzu: Hmph. You came all the way here, but it was in vain. I have no desire to speak with you.
Sidon: Listen well, Muzu. There is something you need to know. He who stands here...the man called Link...is the one whom my sister. Mipha, had feelings for. I was only a child then, so I did not know it myself at the time. But it is so. I grew up hearing my father tell stories, some of which were about my sister's undying love for a Hylian named Link.
Muzu: What?! No... You cannot fool me with such a fanciful lie. Not this Zora! How could Lady Mipha possibly have feelings for a Hylian like him?! The facts are clear. He remembers nothing. Even when he looks upon Princess Mipha's statue...
Sidon: It is the truth, Muzu. Though you never knew it, he was ever in Mipha's heart.
Sidon: What is the matter, Link? Are you unwell?
Muzu: Hm? You are quivering like a hatchling... Whatever is the matter?
Link: Mipha... I remember.
Muzu: WHAT?! Do not mistake me for a fool, Hylian! There is no way you remembered her just now, when it is most convenient. In any case, without any solid proof, I cannot possibly take you at your word! If you have any such proof, now is the time to show it. Do so, and... and I...I shall tell you how to get those shock arrows! Yes, as well as anything else you wish to know.
Sidon: Have you truly not figured it out yet? Simply take a closer look at what is wearing!
Muzu: Hm? You really think changing your clothes is going to make me... Eh?! What in the ... That is the Zora Armor from before! Lady Mipha made that by hand... and yet it fits you perfectly! What is the meaning of this?!
Sidon: Now you understand, do you not? Now you know who her heart belonged to and who she made this special armor for. The fact that this armor fits Link perfectly should be proof enough that Mipha made it for him and him alone! You have always disliked Hylians, even before the Great Calamity. That is why Mipha never told you. Now that you know, you must promise to help him save us all, Muzu. Please... Tell us where we can find the shock arrows we need. Knowing you, I bet you have already figured it out.
Muzu: Hmph. I never would have imagined she would make that special armor for one such as he... I do not approve of asking for help from a Hylian, but I suppose it is our only option at this point. I am a proud Zora. That means I must take responsibility for my unwarranted behavior toward you. As promised, I shall tell you where you can collect as many shock arrows as you will need. That tall mountain over yonder... It is called Ploymus Mountain, and there you will also find Shatterback Point. A terrifying creature has made its home up there. This awful beast shoots volley after volley of shock arrows. Even a single one could be fatal to a Zora.
Sidon: Aha! You must mean that Lynel! He is the man-beast, that one! That beast does indeed wield shock arrows. That is certainly one way to collect them quickly. He is vicious, to be sure. But I am certain Link will rise to the challenge.
Muzu: In order to appease the Divine Beast, I estimate that you will need...hmm... at least 20 shock arrows. DO you think you can gather that many?
Sidon: Why do you still doubt him, Muzu? I have no doubt he will be triumphant! OK, Link. Let's get moving. The fastest way to Ploymus Mountain is to ascend the waterfall east of the domain! That Zora armor should come in handy. Just swim to the waterfall basin, and then go up the waterfall from there! I'll wait at East Reservoir Lake, right by the Divine Beast. Gather at least 20 Shock Arrows, and then come join me!
Link: I'm on it!
Sidon: Wonderful! Together we shall stop that Divine Beast's onslaught!
Link: I'm ready!
Sidon: Wonderful! You never cease to amaze, Link! Now then, let us go and appease that Divine Beast as one! Here we go!!
Sidon: Gaze now upon the Divine Beast's back! Do you see those glowing, pink orbs? You will need to shoot each of them with a shock arrow! With your Zora Armor, you now have the ability to ascend waterfalls! SO i shall take you right up to the side of the Divine Beast, and from there you can swim up and take aim! I know you can do it! I believe in you! Now hurry up and get on my back!
Link: I'm ready.
Sidon: Good answer! Let's get going! OK! Here we go! Ha! I am unstoppable in the water! Ruta is responding to our presence! I'll move away and wait for an opening before we approach! I'll keep going at full speed! It's up to you to ward of Ruta's attacks! Are you ready? Divine Beast Vah Ruta will undoubtedly use its ancient and mysterious powers against us... That includes hurling giant ice blocks that we will need to watch out for. I shall leave those to you!
Sidon: WOW! That was astounding! An absolute thrill! Link, look! The water spouting from Ruta has slowed down! Ruta is floating higher now! You wanted to venture inside it, right?! I'll bring you closer! We're counting on you, hero! Do good work in there!
Sidon: Well, Link, here we are. Looks like this is where the real work starts. Best of luck. Nice job cutting off the water flow from this Divine Beast. Show the enemy no fear. I'll see you back at Zora's Domain. Farewell.
King Dorephan: Link! You did well to survival your trial! I have been awaiting your return! The violent downpour has disappeared, as has the threat to Zora's Domain! It is all little more than a bad dream now. Thanks to your efforts, there is no longer any danger of a great flood laying waste to Hyrule! You appeased the Divine Beast Vah Ruta and thusly saved Zora's Domain! We are all truly grateful! What you did for us is more than we could have ever expected of you.
Muzu: Link... I must sincerely apologize for my harsh treatment of you. That whole time, you were thinking of Hyrule's and Lady Mipha's well-being, just like the rest of us. All of the members of our council humbly fold our fins back in gratitude, along with the rest of our people. Perhaps the older generation of Zora, myself included, misunderstood Hylians after all. It would seem so. That said, I would be over joyed if you could find it in your heart to forgive me. If not now, then perhaps one day.
King Dorephan: Link! I must reward your efforts! Now then! I implore you yo collect the treasure inside that chest over there. It was cherished by Mipha. A memento of sorts. I would like to have it as a token of our friendship. Please take good care of it. By the way, Link. I see you are without your trusty blade... the sword that seals the darkness. Did you perhaps lose it when you lost your memory?
Link: What sword?
King Dorephan: Hm. So you have forgotten that as well... That is a legendary blade that only you, the Hylian Champion, can wield. It is no doubt resting somewhere in Hyrule even now... waiting for its master to return. Link, all of the Zora thank you from the depths of our hearts for your heroic and selfless work! ...And you too, Sidon. As your father, I am proud of you fighting the Divine Beast alongside Link. You have grown much recently. I kknow you will be a worthy heir when your time comes.
Sidon: Father... I ... Thank you!
King Dorephan: The heavy rains have stopped,, and the Divine Beast is our ally once again! How glorious! Truly splendid! Wah ha ha ha!
Sidon: Link! This is wonderful! Link! Thank you so much! Truly, I could never thank you enough! You helped save our home from vanishing away! This calls for a top-tier expression of gratitude! ZO! ZO! RA RA RA! With all my heart... Thank you!
[ Divine Beast Vah Ruta Quest Video Walkthrough]