When the arrow points towards the blue (left), the temperature is Cold, while when the arrow points toward the right (red), the temperature is Hot. The more the arrow is towards the left or right, the more Cold or Hot the temperature is. When the dial is in the center area, it means the temperature is neither Hot nor Cold, and is just right for Link.
When it is too Cold or too Hot, Link will take damage and must take action to counter the effects. See "Strategy Guide/Tips" section below. So make sure to watch the dial closely and be prepared to deal with the situation.
- Watch the temperature gauge for signs of extreme temperature rise or drop. For example, if you fall into the cold River of the Dead (Hylia River), the gauge will display a special effect where it's covered with ice:
- If that happens, make sure to immediately remove yourself from the situation or take countermeasures such as drinking the appropriate elixir, otherwise Link may die.
- When it is too Cold, Link can warm himself by:
- Putting on warmer clothes (clothes that have Cold Resistance), such as the Quilted Shirt.
- Eating food that increases Cold Resistance, such as certain dishes cooked with Spicy Peppers.
- Lighting a Campfire using Firewood and Flint, Fire Arrows, or a fire element weapon.
- Equipping a fire elemental weapon, such as a Flameblade or Fire Rod. Simply being near one of these weapons will keep you warmer.
- Holding a lit torch. While doing so, avoid any actions that put away the torch, including climbing and sprinting, or it will be put out.
- In footage released thus far, the temperature gauge is labeled with an "F" (Farenheit) in it. It's unclear whether European and other countries will display a "C" (Celsius) instead.